Kids for Cash judges in Pennsylvania ordered a payment of more than $200 million.
Two former Pennsylvania judges who planned to send children to for-profit prisons in exchange for bribes were ordered to pay more than $200 million to hundreds of people who were convicted in the U.S. was convicted in
U.S. District Judge Christopher Conner received $106 million in compensatory damages and $100 million in punitive damages to nearly 300 people in a long-running civil lawsuit against the judges writing offended parties a disastrous human of an embarrassment that would blow the mind of any average person.
In what became known as the Kids for Cash scandal, Mark Civarella and another Judge Michael Konahan shut down a county-run juvenile detention center and accepted $2.8 million in illegal payments from both the builder and co-owner. done-benefit lockup.
Ciavarella who manages the Juvenile Court, set forward a zero-resistance strategy that surefire huge quantities of kids would be shipped off PA Child Care and its sister office Western PA Child Care.
Ciavarella ordered the detention of children under the age of 8 many of them first-time offenders convicted of petty theft smoking on the grounds of the Jaywalking Truancy School and other minor violations. Judges often order youths they find guilty.
They are immediately ejected handcuffed and taken away without a chance to save their family or say goodbye. Ciavarella and Conahan have waived their oaths and violated public trust Connor wrote in an explanation of the decision on Tuesday.
The Pennsylvania Supreme Court dismissed 4,000 juvenile convictions involving more than 2,300 children after the plan came to the fore.
It is unlikely that now-adult victims will see even a fraction of the lucrative damages award, but a lawyer for the plaintiffs said it is a recognition of the enormity of the disgraced judges’ crimes.
Sol Weiss a lawyer for another plaintiff said he would launch an investigation into the judges assets but did not think he had any money to deliver the verdict.
Siavarella is serving a 28-year prison sentence in Kentucky. Their estimated release date is 2035.
Konahan was sentenced to more than 17 years in prison but was released in 2020 for home confinement with six years remaining on his sentence due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Connor ruled last year after hearing emotional testimony from 282 people who appeared in Luzerne County juvenile court between 2003 and 2008 79 of whom were under the age of 13.
Connor wrote to him, his harsh and arbitrary nature his disdain for due process his extraordinary suddenness and his obstinate and rude behavior in the courtroom.
According to Connor’s verdict an unnamed child victim testified that Ciavarella ruined my life and didn’t let me get into my future.
Another victim described how he shook uncontrollably during routine traffic stops as a result of the traumatic effects of his childhood detention and asked him to show his mental health records in court to explain why my behavior was the way it was.
Connor said that many of the childhood victims who were part of the trial that began in 2009 have died of overdose or suicide.
To work out compensatory harms, the appointed authority concluded that every offended party was qualified for a base pace of $1,000 for every day of unfair care and changed that sum in view of the circumstances of each case.
Connor wrote that substantial punitive damages were warranted as the disgraced judges inflicted unspeakable physical and emotional trauma on children and adolescents.
The damages award covers only plaintiffs who chose to participate in the process. Other key figures in the case settled years ago include the creators and owners of private lockups and their companies, which they are estimated to have owed nearly $25 million.